Monday, August 8, 2016

How I Start Decluttering

I used to be the best at hoarding. I loved to buy multiple ‘back-ups’ and ‘alternatives’ or just call it the ‘just in case’ items. The thing with ‘just in case’ item is, I never stop buying them, and they start to pile up more and more. In the end, I caught myself busy taking care of those stuffs, wasting my time and energy on dusting, rearranging, and all other responsibilities that comes from owning an item. I have lost my time, my energy, and my money. Imagine if you can switch all of those time and energy to do something more productive and meaningful.

I have taken decluttering more seriously this year and I have never felt more liberated. I have lost almost 50% of my belonging and my life felt so much easier and simple. I am less stressed, I have more of a quality me-time, and I have been able to save up some money. Decluttering is not a onetime act, instead, it needs commitment and continued visitation. So here are a few tips on how to take that first step on decluttering.
  1. Start small. If you’re just starting and not likely sure about declutter your entire belongings, do it slowly by putting 10-15 minutes a day to declutter. This is how I started decluttering, I took out a small plastic bag and I filled it by going through my drawers and closet to see if there was anything that I could get rid immediately. I cleared out pens, note books, and other small stuffs and brought it to my former office and see if anyone needs it.
  2. Do everything all at once. Once you get into the momentum, declutter all your stuffs in one go and when you’re done, you will feel a huge difference in your home because you can immediately feel the changes. I did it once with my closet and I had 3 big boxes of clothing which I never used anymore. I was quite surprised at how I kept my high school uniform that didn’t even fit me at all. My closet never felt so much spacious and I know and can see all my clothes.
  3. Ask questions. Does this bring me joy? Things that doesn’t bring joy, will only add up our stress level. So get rid of it. Does this thing serve me a purpose? If things just sitting there and doing nothing for your life, get rid of it. Does it look good on you? Is it comfortable? If not, get rid of it. When is the last time I use this? If you haven’t used it in for about one year, most likely you’ll never use it again. Do not get too sentimental, they’re just stuffs.
  4. Keep, Trash, Sell, Giveaway, Maybe? Next step is sorting out. Once you put things in a certain pile, don’t take it out. If you’re not sure, keep it in a maybe pile and store it inside a box for 3-6 months. If you didn’t reach for it, you can get rid of it. A little bit tips, I don’t get rid of my toiletries and makeup to be honest, because then I need to buy a new one if I get rid of everything. I only get rid of the expired one. Instead, I keep them all and use everything up and I haven’t bought any toiletries at all for one year. I saved some money and in the end, it will reduce eventually.
  5. Send them to their designated place immediately. Once you’ve done sorting, directly trash it, put a listing in Ebay, or give them away to someone who would appreciate it more. Don’t delay and keep them in the corner, because when you look at it again, you might want to take out a few stuffs from the pile and put it back in your drawer.
  6. Start now!! If you are here reading this post, I assume you already have the urge to declutter. So what are you waiting? It’s amazing and it’s the best decision I’ve made in my entire life.
I am in no mean is a decluttering expert, and I haven’t reach the point where I want it to be. This is my personal experience and I’m looking out to be better in the future.

So, are you ready to declutter?

No comments:

Post a Comment